Included in this Post:
About the Book
Ten Behind the Scenes Facts About the Book
Author’s Top 10 Favorites
The Tilting Leaves of AutumnSeries: Seasons #2
by Robin E. Mason
Publication Date November 22, 2017
Genres: Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction
Setting: South Carolina Progressive Era – US – 1890s – 1920s
Written for: Adult
The southern town of Saisons lies at the crossroads between North and South, progressive and genteel antebellum life. Between East and West, between history and heritage, and new frontiers. Downton Abbey meets Gone With the Wind.
It’s 1912, in a world where slavery is dying and women’s rights are rising, and four young women who once shared a bond—and experienced a tragedy—question their own truths.
Scarlett was the shrinking violet in the group. Faithful to her friends, and hiding secrets of her own. When Mercedes steps in to rescue her, she unknowlingly plucks the thread that unravels Scarlett’s whole world.
But as Scarlett strives to hold fast to what is familiar the fabric of her life continues to come undone and secrets that are best kept hidden are exposed.
- The first bit I got of this series was the four names of the friends: Mercedes, Simone, Scarlett, and Pearl. They became the main characters of each of the books.
- The story, however, is not what I had first thought it would be.
- Nor is the setting—I didn’t know it was 1912 and 1913 until I started trying to place it. For a brief moment, it was set in the ‘60’s, and they were kids.
- This is my first go at writing in first person. I like it, and have been told I’ve “found my voice.”
- At one point, Simone calls Mercedes “pragmatic,” and I realized each of my four main characters is one of the four temperaments: phlegmatic, sanguine, melancholic, and choleric.
- I knew the general setting, and used Google maps to find a town to “borrow.” Saisons is based loosely on Lake City, SC—until I moved it south a little on the Edisto River rather than the Santee.
- I didn’t know the extent of Scarlett’s abuse until I was writing it. (And no, I’ve never suffered physical abuse.)
- I know all too well the fight to let go of wrong thinking.
- I didn’t know Scarlett was a fashion designer until I was writing it. I can visualize her style, and did my best to find images to represent it.
- I find sanctuary being outdoors like Scarlett did. If there are trees and a river, even better
Top Ten Favorite Desserts
Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting
Fudgy mint brownies
(I don’t really eat desserts so much)
Prize pack includes the following: Print copy of the book, tea cup, sample of Saisons Plantation Tea, Earings, Candy, Book mark, pocket watch necklace, and a secret Christmas surprise.
Giveaway ends December 10 at midnight.
December 4-Reading Is My SuperPower
December 5-Among the Reads
December 7-Singing Librarian Books
December 8-Ponderings of a Poet & Procrastinator
December 9-Encouraging Words from the Tea Queen